The EAL (English as an Additional Language) department caters for the needs of pupils for whom English is a second language. These learners include a wide range of English levels, from total beginners to pupils with a high level of proficiency in English. These students’ diverse backgrounds and cultures contribute a cultural heritage and diversity that enriches greatly the Lampton School community. As a school, we fully recognise that bilingualism/multilingualism is a strength and we are committed to support the planning, organisation, teaching and assessment procedures to meet the needs of EAL students and so to raise student achievement.




Pupils are encouraged to participate in all extracurricular activities offered by the school and the department also arranges trips to raise cultural, historical awareness and widening their knowledge of their adopted country.  For example, trips to the Science Museum, Sky Academy and the BBC.

An accelerated reading scheme is provided with each pupil as an integral part of their learning of English.  Pupils are issued with their reading age and reading level so that they can choose the books they enjoy. After reading each book, pupil completes a quiz and an 80% score will push up their reading level and hence enlacing their reading age as well as their range of vocabulary.

Each pupil is also set up with an individual account in learning grammar in a structured and guided way with www.clarityenglish.com.  There are 5 levels of grammar topics and pupil can track their progress with advice systematically with a given PLC (Personalised Learning Checklist).

4) HOW TO SUPPORT YOUR CHILD – . Frequently Asked Questions

How long will it take my child to learn to speak English fluently?

When children first start learning English they are often very quiet and may be reluctant to speak in English. This is quite natural and is known as a ‘silent period’. However, if your child has been learning English for longer than a year, the best way to become fluent is to speak in English regularly.  Naturally, your child will feel more comfortable speaking in his mother tongue but it is best to encourage him to speak English in school and to mix in multicultural groups.

How often should my child be reading in English?

Apart from homework, your child should be reading in English at least three or four times a week for at least 30 minutes. As well as fiction, this could also include newspapers and magazines. Your child should be encouraged to participate fully in the school’s Accelerated Reader programme which has been proven to be effective in supporting reading development.  You don’t need to buy a book as your child can use the school or local library. If your child is just beginning to read in English, we also have a suitable range of books in the department.

Should my child only read books in English?

No! Language research shows that if your child develops and studies his/her first language, this will help develop their English too. However, they should be reading in English regularly as well.

How can I help with my child’s writing?

Encourage your child to proof-read their writing twice. They should proof-read once for meaning, then check it again for any mistakes in spelling and basic punctuation such as capital letters, commas and full stops.  If your child is still at an early stage of learning English, he or she needs to have a bilingual translation dictionary for school to use in lessons.  This will greatly help your child in accessing the content of the subject.

What about spelling?

Spelling in English can be quite a confusing area as many words just don’t sound like they are spelt. Some students learn spelling very quickly as they have a good memory for words, but for other students it can be quite puzzling. To help your child with spelling, one strategy you can use is to ask them to write out the correct spelling three times and learn them by heart. You can then test them.

In what other ways can I help my child?

Listening to English will help develop their language skills. Try to expose your child to spoken English at home by regularly watching the news, and other TV programmes in English. The school library and the EAL department also have books with CDs as does the local library.

How can I support my child’s homework?

Make sure you log on to www.showmyhomework.com and check your child’s homework on a daily basis.  You can monitor your child’s completion of homework from your mobile device.  Should you child require any support on homework, many departments offer lunch time homework club where you child can attend.  The school also has an after-school Homework Club for Years 7, 8 and 9 every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 3:20 to 4:20 p.m. in Room T1.

I’d like to help my child more, but my own English isn’t that good!

Why not join a course in ESOL (English for speakers of other Languages) to improve your English?   Adult Education in Colleges in Ealing, Hounslow and Hammersmith & Fulham all run a wide range of adult English courses, some of which are subsidised or may even be free, if you qualify.  The one nearest to Lampton is West Thames College.

For further information, please contact Mrs P. Bridge, EAL subject leader for Lampton School either by phone or by writing a note in your child’s school planner.